Friday, July 25, 2008

Breakfast Club

58 mins
8 miles

Let me just get the complaining out of the way: I have not in recent memory experienced a level of soreness on par with what I'm feeling right now. When I woke up this morning I was seriously questioning whether or not I would be able to put any weight on my legs, as my back and upper glute muscles were in so much pain. Nonetheless, I hobbled out the door and down the stairs (which I have never loathed more) to my car so I could head up to Buckhead and meet some peeps for the Friday morning breakfast run at the Big Peach, a running specialty store on Peachtree. Full disclosure: I was only going for the "breakfast" part, more specifically breakfast at Flying Biscuit. The idea behind the breakfast run is to meet at the Big Peach in Buckhead, run down the majority of the Peachtree Road Race course, weave around through Piedmont Park, finish up at the Flying Biscuit in Midtown, enjoy a tasty breakfast, then take MARTA back up to Buckhead. In theory it sounded terrific, but in actuality it was one of the least enjoyable runs I've had in a while due to the aforementioned soreness.

While the group fluctuates in size from week to week, today it was just myself, Big Peach GM Jeff Campbell and Brendan, another Big Peach employee. Jeff had an all-star night last night and was even worse off than me this morning, so we were all content to amble along at an easy pace. I did loosen up a bit throughout the run but any time we had to stop for traffic and then start again, I felt like I was starting back at square one. Thankfully, the coffee was free-flowing and the oatmeal pancakes were fluffy and delicious, but otherwise I am in a world of hurt.

0 comments: