Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Snow Day...Sort Of

AM: 3 miles
PM: 3 mile w/u
Target: 12x400 @78-80 w/1 min. rest
Actual: 77, 79, 79, 80, 78, 79, 79, 78, 79, 77, 78, 77
2 mile c/d
Total: 8 miles

Just as I'd hoped, I awoke this morning to a beautiful dusting of snow and ice on the ground and classes canceled for the day at Queens. Unfortunately they just canceled daytime classes, which meant I still had to attend my first day of school tonight, but nonetheless it lent a festive atmosphere to the inauguration morning. Jeff, Blake and I moseyed outside around 10am for an easy jog and enjoyed frolicking through the flurries. Apparently Charlotte gets snow only once every few years so this was kind of a big deal, as was evidenced by the number of kiddos we saw attempting to sled down a nearby hill. The meager amount of snow had long since melted on the hill so they were essentially sliding down wet and muddy grass, but they seemed to be enjoying themselves nonetheless. After the run we hurried back to watch Obama's swearing in and say "peace out" to Dubya (and not a moment too soon).

By the afternoon the snow had abated and a bitter wind had replaced it. My legs felt heavy and lethargic and I wasn't remotely in the mood to put forth a speedy effort on the track. Unlike most chilly days, when you're miserable for a few minutes but then warm up nicely, I never really got comfortable today. The homestretch finished into a stiff headwind, which also made things frustrating.
The first half of the workout I felt absolutely awful, and would've gladly called things off at any point. Instead, with some encouragement from Coach G-Unit, I just kept plugging along and felt marginally better toward the end. My hamstrings are still pretty stiff and fatigued and I need to take things super easy tomorrow.

Looking at progression, I did 8x400 with Jordan on New Year's Eve in Palm Springs; today I averaged consistently faster times and did four more intervals in much crappier weather. I wish I'd felt better and had a more positive attitude today, but, as Jeff says, sometimes you gain more fitness from your bad workouts than you do your good ones. If that's the case I should be in 16 flat shape in no time!

0 comments: