Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Everything Must Go

AM: 31 mins.
4 miles
PM: 46 mins.
6+ miles

I was out the door early this morning to put in a few minutes on my feet before the moving pod arrived. The company said I should expect it between 9am and 2pm, a time frame that was oh so helpful, but just in case they arrived at 9 on the dot I wanted to be ready. As it turns out, they came shortly after 10, and from there my day was thrown into a whirlwind. Pack a box, take it downstairs, put it by the pod, throw something in the dumpster, go back upstairs, repeat. I lost count of how many times I made the round trip
, but I'm pretty sure my legs will remind me tomorrow.

At this point in my post, I need to offer a shout out to my wonderful friends who helped me out tremendously with moving today. I'm not sure how many of them read this, but many thanks to Web, Jim, Ezra and Jennie for all their help. The dudes did all the heavy lifting while Jennie packed up all my dishes and relieved me of some miscellaneous kitchen items that I neither wanted or needed (or, in one instance, could identify, although I think we ended up deciding it was a juicer). Were it not for their help I would probably be collapsed midway down my stairs underneath some dresser draw
ers or something.


Jilane's response to this pic: "Awww...Godspeed, MRN's shit."

As for today's runs, Jeff had scheduled a track workout for the afternoon but it just wasn't happening. By the time I finished packing, loading everything and cleaning my place it was almost dark and my legs were shot. I headed out for a short double that took me along a familiar route through the Highlands, Inman Park and Candler Park and turned around on the bike path where it meets Highland near Highland Bakery and my old apartment complex.

It's funny, I can vividly remember moving into that apartment three years ago this month. And, almost two years ago to the day, moving out of it. I remember coming to Atlanta last January to visit Brooke (who, incidentally, also lived within 400 yards of the spot where I turned around tonight) and feeling such nostalgia for this place, wondering if I would ever live here again. I had no idea I would end up coming and going again within such a short period of time. I'm not sure if I'll ever live here again--at this point, that's doubtful--and even though the sum total of time I've spent here has been less than two years, in many ways it feels like home. So many of my favorite places are here, and I am sad to leave.

Maybe I sound overly dramatic or emotional, but I think moving is an emotional experience. More often than not it signifies the closing of one chapter in one's life and the beginning of another. That's certainly the case for me this time. I know there are some fantastic experiences ahead for me, but tonight I am taking a few moments to pause and reflect on the people and places I am leaving behind.

0 comments: