Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Gone to Carolina

AM: 37-38 mins.
5 miles
PM: 60 mins.
~8.5 miles

Well, this was a long day. It began with Jeffrey and I awaking to the freezing temperature in my house, which gives you an idea of how cold it was outside. We decided to go for a quick jog before loading clothes and miscellaneous items into his truck in hopes that the run would warm us up enough to make things tolerable. We were wrong.

The run itself was decent--and, more notably, Jeff's longest run in approximately four months--and we warmed up in the morning sun. I took him on a spin on the usual route that included such sights as the downtown Atlanta skyline, the Carter Presidential Library and the "
My Dad Rocks: Father's Day '08" graffiti on the side of a warehouse in Inman Park.

Upon arriving back we commenced the loading of clothes. Remember how I said yesterday that I would be sore from yesterday's moving exploits? Yeah, well I am, and more of the same this morning certainly isn't helping matters. The culmination of our efforts came when we attempted to move the futon downstairs to Jeff's truck. Now, let me preface this by saying we weren't dealing with your run of the mill plastic/metal futon. This was actually a pretty legit couch/bed when I purchased it my sophomore year in college, and it has an actual spring mattress and a remarkably sturdy wooden frame. Point being, it's heavy. And, even worse, unwieldy. Only by the grace of God we made it down the stairs and cleared the 90-degree turn (thoughts of Ross from "Friends" screaming "PIVOT!" kept running through my head) with neither of us being maimed or killed. Unfortunately by that point I decided I no longer wanted said futon so we expeditiously droppe
d it off by the dumpster. Five minutes later it was followed by the aforementioned mattress, which Jeff literally threw over my balcony and onto the ground below to make quick work of things.


Peace out, futon. It's been real.

Anyhow, long story short (too late) I ended up arriving to Charlotte and taking my second run of the day with my new teammate and soon-to-be roommate Tanya, her friend Sean, and our other teammate Michael. Michael grew up in Palm Springs and since I've been there twice recently we chatted about the town and about how Jordan continuously refuses to take me on the tram even though that's the only thing I've ever wanted to do in Palm Springs. But I'm, like, totally over it. We took in the run at McAlpine Park, which is where I'll be spending most of my time for the next three semesters. It's a completely flat dirt path and seems like a decent place to put in a few miles. More importantly, it was great to finally meet some of the people on the team. I guess this is all finally happening.

1 comments:

Brooke Starr Haman said...

Since when were you getting a roommate. I feel like I don't even know you any more.