Friday, January 16, 2009

13 Feels Like 3

AM: 3 miles
PM: 2 mile w/u
Target: 6 mile tempo; first 3 @ 6:20 then cut down to 6:00
Actual: 6:17, 6:23, 6:16, 6:13, 6:10, 6:03
~1.5 mile c/d
Total: 9.5 miles

The title of this post obviously refers to the weather in Charlotte today, which Jeff says is the coldest day he can remember here. I know many of my fellow bloggers are enduring conditions even worse than this, but as a born and bred Southern belle I can say without hesitation that this is about as extreme as I can tolerate. Fortunately the sun was shining for most of the afternoon, and temps "warmed up" into the mid 20s by the time my workout rolled around. This was my first official practice with the team and I was pretty excited to be out at McAlpine with other people.


McAlpine Park, my new home away from home

The plan for the run was to do the first half with Jess, one of the faster girls on the team, who was doing a 3-mile effort. She planned to go three miles out for her tempo and then jog back as the cool down, while I would flip a U and continue all the way back to get in six miles at tempo pace. Jeff figured she could handle 6:20s so that was our goal. Unfortunately I think both of us were a bit cold/excited from the outset and ended up blowing through the first half mile in just under 3:05. We quickly reigned it in and slowed down (perhaps too much, as the second mile split indicates), and overall I felt pretty comfortable through the first half. Jess finished really strong and was pleased with her effort.

On the return trip I continued to feel steady and in control, which was a pleasant surprise. I was also pleasantly surprised to not be vomiting, as Jeff and I had consumed a hearty lunch less than two hours before the workout. Fortunately my stomach wasn't an issue for once (maybe this should be my new strategy?) and, despite the arctic temps, my legs responded fairly well. I came back about 35 seconds faster than I went out, and my cumulative time was about 45 seconds faster than when I did the same workout with Jordan and Jilane in California less than a month ago.

Oh, and I bought a new car today! But tomorrow's recovery run should be pretty boring, so I'll blog about it then to keep you entertained.

1 comments:

Jilane said...

Including me in the list of people who did that workout in CA is very kind of you, Meago. ;) Anyway, job well done, love bug.