Saturday, January 9, 2010

Saturday Night Skyline Run

AM: 30 mins. core/yoga
10 mins. stretching
PM: 46 mins. (6 miles)

Whether due to New Year's resolutions, an influx of gift cards, or some other unrelated cause, business was booming at Run For Your Life this afternoon. We were packed with customers well past closing time, which meant I didn't get out the door until after 5:30. Normally I wouldn't mind, but I'd hoped to both run and go feed Coach Simmons' dogs (whom I'm watching all weekend while he's out of town), as well as shower and clean up the apartment a bit before some of our friends came over at 7:30. With less than two hours to accomplish all that, there wasn't any time to waste, so I decided to combine the first two duties by running over to Simmons' house to give Jackie and Sidney their tasty dinners. Despite having already run over 15 miles on the day, Jordan was game to come along, so 10 minutes later we were bundled up and headed out the door.

The run took us through the usual territory, ru
nning to the end of Freedom Park before crossing East and continuing down Kings to our destination. Despite my familiarity with our surroundings, it was a bit disconcerting to run through Freedom Park in the almost pitch darkness. Not that Jordan would've been able to fend off any attackers (in fact, he'd be more likely to outrun them and leave me behind), but I was pretty glad to have him along. As a reward for our sense of adventure, we were treated to a spectacular view of the downtown skyline with lights ablaze. Not something you see on a morning run (unless you go as early as Jordan did this week). The doggies were happy to see us when we arrived at our halfway point, and after a few minutes thawing out indoors we were retracing our steps home. In an impressive burst of productivity, I managed to accomplish all my goals with time to spare before our guests came. Not too shabby.


Uptown skyline view

Oh, and I can't believe it's taken me this long to mention it, but my leg felt great! More or less completely normal on tonight's run. I guess whatever I'm doing is working, so let's keep our fingers crossed that this positive trend continues.

0 comments: