Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Early Morning From the Dowd

AM: 52 mins. (7 miles)
PM: 20 mins. ellip.
20 mins. core/strength

Last night I made a half-hearted suggestion to Jordan that we try to get up in time for the Charlotte Running Club's Wednesday morning run. They meet at 6am at the Dowd YMCA, which is a mere 10 minute drive from our house, and jog it out through Dilworth and the surrounding neighborhoods for approximately an hour. Now many people who read this blog probably run at 6am all the time (and let's not even talk about my dad, who has already finished running, showering and eating his second breakfast by 6). I, however, prefer to engage in most of my physical activity (or any activity, really) between sunup and sundown. I'm essentially a farmer, only without the Wranglers or the work ethic. Yet the idea of the 6am run appealed to me for several reasons, namely the opportunity to run with other people and the chance to try out a new route.

Note that I said the idea of the run appealed to me. When our alarm went off at 5:15, the reality of the run sounded like a terrible decision. Jordan had to prod and poke me for several minutes but by 5:45 I was more or less awake and ready to head out the door. The run hadn't even started and I already felt like a badass for being so ambitious. Imagine, then, my surprise when we rolled up to the YMCA parking lot a few ticks before 6 and were greeted by a veritable sea of vehicles. I promise I'm not exaggerating to say there were at least 100--maybe 150--cars, the sum of which almost took up every available parking space, that had presumably transported drivers who were already working out. I would even venture to say many of them were probably almost done with said workouts. I cannot tell you how much this boggles my mind. I was simultaneously shocked, impressed, and even vaguely jealous that some of these people had surpassed my badass-ness without even trying.

But I digress. The run kicked off just past 6 with about a dozen of us in a group, composed of a few of people I knew and many who were strangers. Not that it mattered, as I was promptly off the back at the outset. My body just isn't accustomed to being forced to move at this ungodly hour, and the effects of yesterday's workout were lingering in my legs. As a result, it took me at least three miles to feel even remotely comfortable, and another mile before I was able to weave my way up toward the front of the group. At approximately minute 51 of the 52 minute run I started feeling good, just in time for us to call it quits for the morning. After the run, we spent a few minutes chatting and getting to know the faces belonging to the disembodied voices we'd been running beside in the pitch darkness. Everyone was super friendly and happy to have us as part of the group.

In hindsight, this run was kind of like a first marathon. In the lead-up you think it's a great idea. Then race day comes and you start questioning what you'd been thinking in the first place. During the run itself, you're longing for your warm bed and swearing you'll never do anything as foolish as this ever, ever again. That is, until you finish. Then you can't wait for the next one. Guess that means I'll be repeating this roller coaster of emotions next Wednesday.

0 comments: