Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Mt. Vernon Bike Path Fartlek

AM: 60 mins.
~8.5 miles
PM: MCM expo setup


View from the Mt. Vernon bike path

Since we didn't have to be at the expo setup until 11, I was able to wait until the sun came up to embark on my run. I had a light fartlek on tap, 5x3 minutes on, 3 minutes off, and was eager to get the legs turning over. I headed down the street in Crystal City toward the same bike path as yesterday (which is apparently the Mt. Vernon Trail, according to the signs I could read much better in the daylight) and again turned left at the fork. It was quite chilly and significantly windier than yesterday, but overall it was a beautiful morning to be out.

As for the fartlek, it went decently well. I went out for three of the "on" segments before turning around (which meant I had three "off" segments and two "ons" on the second half), and I definitely felt the most fluid on the final two intervals. I'm sure much of this was due to having a tailwind after turning around. Regardless, despite having fewer fast segments on the back half, I returned to the hotel over a minute faster than I went out. It felt good to open up the legs and finish faster than I started.

Once again, I had a double on the schedule and once again I took a pass. After five plus hours of schlepping countless boxes of apparel all over the Armory (which just might be the most disgusting building in the entire country) I was just plain exhausted. I even skipped out on the group dinner so I could relax at the hotel. At this point I've got to take advantage of every opportunity I have to rest, since I know those chances will be few and far between for the rest of the week.

0 comments: