Monday, September 8, 2008

Starting it all Over Again

AM: 77 mins.
10+ miles
PM: 30 mins.
4 miles

The way I felt on my runs today was largely dictated by their respective weather conditions. This morning I awoke from a beautiful 9-hour sleep and was in no hurry to start the run before 9 am or so. Unfortunately, around 8:30 it dawned on me that I had a conference call at 9:30 and another at 10, which meant I wouldn't be able to start until much later than I'd planned. Very poor strategery on my part. As a result, I didn't get out the door until after 11, and it was quite warm and humid outside. I ran the long way to Emory, through Lullwater Park, and then back home, which was a nice change of scenery. That said, the last 20 minutes or so was brutal and the midday sun was beating down intensely. Upon arriving home, I bumped into my new neighbor who was chain smoking on the stairwell and offered me a few words of advice: "Not exactly the time of day to be exercising, is it?"

In sharp contrast, I set out on this evening's run just as a storm was rolling in. The skies were overcast and a cool breeze was blowing through the air. About halfway through, the skies opened up and poured on me. It felt wonderful.

Tomorrow is 25x400. If you do not hear from me by this time tomorrow night, let it be known that I was beating Jordan in Facebook Scrabble at the time of my death.

0 comments: