Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Barefoot Timing Duties

22 min. w/u (3 miles)
~5 miles incl. 15-20 barefoot strides
28 min. c/d (3.5 miles)
Total: ~11 miles
Jordan's workout

Since I have nothing to train for in the foreseeable future, my role during today's track workout was primarily as an assistant. Jordan was planning to hit some pretty quick splits and wanted me to call out his times at each 200. I was happy to oblige, especially because I planned on getting in plenty of barefoot running at the same time.

After warming up three miles together, Jordan spiked up for some strides and stretching while I kicked off the shoes and started running some barefoot laps. Our arrival at the Norman High track coincided perfectly with the arrival of their football team, which would serve to be both a source of entertainment and consternation throughout the workout. My plan was to start the stopwatch, sprint the diagonal across the field to the next 200 and repeat, and this hinged on not having to play Frogger dodging 13-year-old boys struggling to push sleds across the 50-yard-line. For the most part it worked out fine, but there were a few times when my attempts to circumnavigate them almost resulted in Jordan beating me to the line. That would've been embarrassing.

Overall I had a great time out there today. It was fun to be at the track and not feel nervous about my own workout. Instead I cheered on Jordan, sprinted around like a crazy person timing his splits, and jogged barefoot during all of his rest segments. This is the largest chunk of barefoot running I've ever done at a time, but it felt absolutely fantastic. By the time we made it back home, I was surprised to mentally tally up 11 miles as my total for the morning. That's about as impressive as Jordan's workout seeing as he only ran hard for nine minutes.

0 comments: