Thursday, March 5, 2009

Great Workout, Crappy Title

AM: 4 miles
PM: 10 mins. active stretching
2 mile w/u + strides
Target: 12x800 @2:50-2:52 w/2 min.rest (hammer #11)
Actual: 2:50, 2:48, 2:50, 2:48, 2:47, 2:47, 2:46, 2:46, 2:45, 2:45, 2:38, 2:40
1.5 mile c/d
Total: 9.5 miles

Before I get into the details, the basic take-home message is that this was unequivocally my best track workout since coming to Queens.
Looking back at my most recent 800 workout, which took place almost eight weeks ago in Atlanta, my progression both in endurance and speed is apparent. One could argue that says more about those previous workouts than it does about this one, but nonetheless I'm pretty excited about where my fitness is now and where it can be later this spring.

As for today's effort, Jess and I were fortunate to have an absolutely gorgeous day to work out. I'm talking temps in the low 60s, plenty of sunshine, low humidity and a slight breeze. Perfection. Add Coach G-Unit calling out splits and Blake shouting encouragement (he opted to do his 8-mile recovery run entirely on the infield at Johnson C. Smith; don't ask me why), and you have all the pieces in place for a terrific afternoon jaunt.

From the outset I could tell things were going to go well, mostly because running 2:48-2:50 felt so easy. I honestly felt like I was jogging for the first 4 or 5; I kept waiting for my legs to suddenly absorb the fatigue of all the previous intervals, but that never really happened. It definitely helped that Jess was also having a great effort, and that Jeff was visibly excited about how things were progressing. I threw on my spikes for the last two and made a conscious attempt to open up my stride while still keeping things under control. I was originally only supposed to "hammer" the 11th one, but when I went through the 400 on #12 in 81 I decided to see if I could bring it home in 2:40. I was definitely fatigued afterward, but honestly I think I could've done a few more in the 2:43-45 range if I'd had to.

As I type this, it's 10pm and I have yet to pack a single item for my 9-day, 3-city tour that commences tomorrow morning. I should probably get on that. Tomorrow evening's recovery run will be with one of my favorite people in one of my favorite cities...can't wait!

1 comments:

Mad said...

Wow, great job. 2:38?!?!

Have fun in D.C.!