Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sunday Brunch (And a Run, Too)

89 mins.
12 miles

I made it home from the meet last night in time to shower and pick Jordan up at the airport. I was excited for his first visit to Charlotte and was hoping to get in some good runs together. Unfortunately that was not to be the case, at least for the first day, as his achilles flare-up from last week is still bothering him. Nonetheless he was a good sport and made the trip out to McAlpine park with me and the rest of the team this morning. He hoped to spend some time stretching and backwards running and doing some other goofy things while the rest of us slogged out our longer runs.

I started off the run with Tanya and Jess and a pedestrian pace. Jess and I in particular were feeling pretty sore and dead-legged from our races the previous day, and I'd received strict instructions from Jeff to keep the pace nice and easy. Even though I made sure to adhere to that directive my legs still felt sluggish and uncooperative. Jess was hurting too, and she fell off the pace right around five miles, leaving Tanya and I to finish the run together. We made it back to the parking lot in just under 90 minutes--almost exactly the same time it took us to run a full mile farther last Sunday. Oh well, that's what recovery days are for I suppose. I definitely need to get in some stretching and an ice bath ASAP.

Upon the conclusion of our run (Jordan completed a stellar 2x14 minutes, by the way) I treated him to his first meal out in Charlotte...at the dining hall. That's right; Jeff, Paula, Jordan and I enjoyed a delicious (read: free) brunch of scrambled eggs, biscuits, cereal, oatmeal and other delicacies at the Queens U dining hall. I can't think of a better way to cap off a long run and start our Sunday off right.

0 comments: