Tuesday, February 10, 2009

You Can't Yell "Bomb" at the DMV

AM: 4 miles
PM: 8 miles + strides

Today I had the pleasure of wasting my entire morning attempting to procure a North Carolina drivers license. Before we go any further, let me clarify that I have no desire to obtain said license. I have a dynamite picture on my Georgia license and I would be content to keep it for the rest of my life (sort of like what Jordan is doing, only my picture is actually good). However, because I purchased a car in North Carolina and therefore need to register it here, I must have a NC license. Ok. Fine. However, the state has decided to make this much more difficult than it should be by forcing me to pass a 20-question written test AND road sign identification test before having the privilege of paying them $28 to declare me a competent driver. I've been fortunate enough to obtain a cheat sheet for this test, which includes such pertinent and oft-used facts such as:


*If you take any medication before you drive, you should...find out what effect the medication has.
*When traveling on rural highways, farm equipment usually...travels at its maximum speed of 15-20 mph.
*When you get tired on a long trip, you should...stop and rest.
*If you are following a car at night, you know the road is bumpy by...watching its taillights.

Really riveting stuff. Anyway, I was pretty excited to locate a DMV that actually wasn't in the ghetto, only to stand in line for 30 minutes before being told that they don't do new license testing at that location. I didn't know off the top of my head where another location was, so I put in a call to Jordan and had him Mapquest it for me. Luckily it was only ~15 minutes away, but it was definitely in the hood. When I walked in the scene was absolute chaos and I knew I was in it for the duration. I'll spare you the rest of the sordid details, but let's just say that two hours later my number was still no closer to being called (nor was the woman's next to me, who had arrived over an hour before I did). I finally decided to peace out and return tomorrow, this time with my computers/textbooks/other reading in tow. If I'm going to be spending another wasted day at the DMV, I might as well get some work done.

Oh yeah, and I ran today too.

1 comments:

Jilane said...

Isn't it a felony or something to say things like that in regards to a government agency? I'm just saying...