Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I Can't Dress Myself

AM: 3 miles
PM: 2 mile w/u
Target: 2x1200 @5k pace w/full recovery; 2x400
Actual: 4:13, 4:11, 77.6, 77.3
2 mile c/d
Total: 6 miles

So one would think that at this point in my running career, nay, my life, I would be able to pick out clothing that is appropriate for both the occasion and the weather. However, despite all evidence to the contrary (namely the temperature and the wind), I decided to dress for this afternoon's workout in shorts and short sleeves. Naturally I blame Jordan for allowing me to walk out of the house that way, which is why I punished him by stealing his long sleeve half-zip, but that's beside the point. At any rate, by the time we arrived at Johnson C. Smith for the workout it was windy and cloudy and absolutely freezing. The goal was definitely to bang this out as quickly as possible, so it worked out in my favor that this afternoon's workout was light in volume but pretty solid in terms of effort.

Jess and I warmed up (relatively speaking) in the infield, and Jordan accompanied us on our jog. From there he moved on to his next responsibility of timing our workout, as Jeff was juggling about five different groups of people. I wish I could say I felt great on these efforts, but like the past few days I just felt flat. I'm sure the crappy weather played into it, but nonetheless I was a bit disheartened after this effort. My legs better take a dramatic turnaround by this weekend if this is the pace I'm supposed to run for 5k.

Also, I forgot to mention this yesterday, but seeing how I live on the fifth floor of my prison/apartment complex, I've decided that I should supplement my morning runs by running up the stairs when I return home. Hopefully this will give my conditioning a boost and make me feel less guilty for taking the elevator every other time I come and go during the day. It's the little things.

0 comments: