Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Pre-Race Workout

AM: 4 miles
PM: 2 mile w/u + strides, drills
Target: 1600 @5:30, 1200 @4:06, 2x400 @82 or faster
Actual: 5:30, 4:06, 74, 72
2 mile c/d
Total: 6-6.5 miles

The one silver lining to racing this weekend is that today's workout was revised dramatically. Instead of the 20x400 I originally had on tap, Jeff opted to give me a pre-race workout similar to the one I did two weeks ago when Jordan was in town. Basically Jeff just wanted me to get in some intervals at my target race pace with full recovery in between.

In contrast to the similar workout a few weeks ago, I felt very strong and controlled on today's efforts while maintaining a much faster pace. Jess and Holly alternately jumped in and out with me as they were banging out their own pre-race workouts, and as always it was great to have company. Though it was still quite cold outside, the sun shined throughout and the wind wasn't as much of a factor as usual. I threw on my spikes for the 400s and was quite surprised with how well my legs turned over. I definitely opened up on the final lap but never felt like I was running all out. Without a doubt, today's run is a huge confidence booster for this weekend's upcoming race.

On a completely unrelated note, I told my buddy Justin I would put in a plug for his fab room rental that's available in May. Any of you who live in the DC area or know someone who does, check out his blog to see the digs. If I find someone to rent it out for him I'm totally charging commission...and we all know how poor I am right now...so how about somebody throw me a bone here, mmkay?

0 comments: