Friday, February 27, 2009

Muddy Buddy Workout

AM: 4 miles
15 mins. active stretching
PM: 2 mile w/u + strides
Target: 3x2 mile @5:50 (revised: 5:45) w/3 mins. rest
Actual: 5:50, 5:53 (11:43); 5:52, 6:06 (11:58); 5:56, 6:04 (12:00)
2 mile c/d
Total: 10 miles

A smaller than usual group of us headed out to McAlpine today for some tempo-esque efforts. As luck would have it, a cold rain fell for most of the afternoon (including during our workout), which succeeded in making the footing a bit slippery on some sections of the dirt path. This wouldn't be of concern if I were just lollygagging around, but given that I was trying to run uptempo (and needed all the help I could get), this was les than ideal. Oh well. Since Jess and I had similar workouts on tap, we warmed up together and then began the workout side by side. Jeff decided to be productive for a change and opted to ride his purple bicycle alongside (henceforth referred to as the "purple people eater," or PPE for short).

As far as the actual workout goes, basically I just didn't have it today. On each interval I started out strong for the first 800m, held up a respectable pace through the mile, and then just hung on for dear life until the end. After the second (and windiest) interval I all but told Jeff I couldn't finish the workout, to which he basically told me to suck it up and stop being such a little girl. Tough love. At any rate, I was disappointed in my splits but not with my effort. I gave it all I had out there today, and if this is the best I could do then I'll take it. Tomorrow promises to be super easy and I should be able to jump in the pool in the morning, so hopefully I'll be recovered enough to put forth another hard effort on Sunday.

Speaking of tomorrow, we have a showdown brewing in the 3k at US Indoors between my teammate Michael Crouch and my BFF Blake Boldon. I think a few other randos will be running as well but nobody cares about them. Mike is fresh off a 7:57 3k at the New Balance meet, while Blake ran 14:00 for 5k in Iowa a few weeks ago and has a 3:59 mile to his credit. Should be a great race and I wish both my friends the best of luck.

0 comments: