Friday, May 15, 2009

Norman High Track Workout

18 min. w/u (2.5 miles)
Target: (800 @3:00, 200 jog, 300 @55-58, 300 jog)x5
Actual: 26:40 for 4 miles; 800s @2:53, 2:55, 2:57, 2:57; 300s @60, 61, 62, 61
2 mile c/d
Total: 8.5 miles
Wind: 13-15mph

The workout we had on tap today was sort of an interval session within a longer run, giving it the feel of an extended fartlek or a disjointed tempo. Jordan had the same effort planned (obviously at a much faster pace), so we decided to jog over to Norman High before work this morning and get 'er done.

Though we arrived at the track just after 8:30, it was already quite warm and sunny out. It was also fairly breezy, particularly through the turn preceding the home stretch. I've decided that since I now reside in what has to be the windiest city in America, I'm going to start noting the wind speed and direction when possible along with the rest of my daily stats. That way I can have a convenient excuse at the ready whenever I bomb something.

For me, the workout today was a mixed bag. My times are certainly indicative of what I need to work on, as I breezed through the majority of the 800s but floundered miserably on the 300s. Because of the way the intervals were set up, the first 100 meters of each 300 was run directly into the wind, which didn't exactly facilitate me breaking any land speed records. The wind and the heat wore me down enough that I opted to stop after four controlled sets rather than flailing through the fifth one, but in hindsight I should've probably just slugged it out. It definitely helped having Jordan on the track with me, and even though we weren't exactly running together I still felt energized by his presence.

One positive that I'm taking away from this is I felt a hundred times more relaxed and natural than the track workout I did last week in Charlotte. I still don't have any speed in my legs, but at least today I felt like an actual runner out there instead of a clumsy, awkward imposter. At this point i've got to just keep plugging along and hoping things will fall into place sooner than later.

0 comments: