Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Back on the Short Bus

AM: 2 mile w/u + drills
Target: 6x800 w/2:30 rest @2:50
Actual: 2:47, 2:51, 2:49, 2:50, 2:50, 2:50
1 mile c/d
Total: 6 miles
PM: 2 miles

I have to admit, I was a bit apprehensive about getting on the track today for several reasons. This would be my first attempt at a workout since I effed up my foot five weeks ago while doing, well, a similar workout. I was nervous about how my foot would handle the added stress of running on my toes, and I was also dreading the opportunity to quantify exactly how slow I've become in a matter of weeks. I know that's taking a "glass half empty" lens to the situation, but knowing that it would be a struggle to run slower than normal for half as long of a workout doesn't exactly inspire self-confidence. That said, I was willing to give it a shot.

My foot felt decent on the warmup, but I could tell right away that the 90% humidity wasn't going to do me any favors. Last night's monsoon may have subsided, but the moisture hung in the air almost thick enough to touch, ensuring that maintaining even a pedestrian pace would prove more difficult than normal (To give you a more graphic illustration, during the workout I tried unsuccessfully after several intervals to bend over and put my hands on my knees, but they were so slick that my hands just kept sliding off. Hotttt.). While Jeff was off on his own jog, I sneakily donned my racing flats in hopes of gaining any advantage I could find. That plan was foiled when Jeff returned to the track, glanced down at my feet, and simply said, "No."

Once the trainers were back on, I was ready (relatively speaking) to begin the workout. Jeff wanted me to ease into the first two around 2:55, but I must confess I have absolutely no concept of pace right now. That became readily apparent when I came through the first 400 in 81 and finished the interval in 2:47...oops. After that I made a conscious effort to go out more conservatively, with better results. I have to be honest though; not one step of this workout felt easy, or even comfortable. I felt so...awkward out there. Clunky. Like I'd never set foot on a track before. It was very disconcerting. I mean, I guess I have to start somewhere, but I somewhat naively imagined it would come back a bit more naturally than this.

I'm embarrassed to say I was already sore within hours of completing this workout. I wanted to shake out the legs on the elliptical this evening but, alas, the fitness center is closed for the next week since today is the last day of finals. Instead I gingerly set out for a slooooow jog down to campus and back. While my body felt pretty wrecked, my foot didn't seem irritated, which was definitely my greater concern. It will be interesting to see how I feel tomorrow.