Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Norman High Solo Workout

2 mile w/u
Target: 4x1.5 miles @6:05-6:15 w/2 min. rest
Actual: 9:05 (6:03 through mile), 9:08 (6:03), 9:10 (6:05), 9:02 (6:03)
1.5 mile c/d
Total: 9.5 miles

After a very restless night of sleep, exacerbated by several trains, a thunderstorm and some bizarre dreams, I awoke to our 6:45 alarm feeling slightly less than rested. Nothing appealed to me less than putting on the kicks and hitting the track a mere 30 minutes later, so I sent Jordan off to meet Scotty and immediately fell into a deep slumber. I didn't stir again until several hours later after Jordan had already returned and taken a shower, and I instantly felt a hundred times more rested than earlier in the morning. Definitely made the right choice by sleeping in. Unfortunately, this meant that I would have to bang out the workout solo after dropping Jordan off at work. So, if you happened to have been driving by Norman High School sometime between 10:30 and noon, you would've found me tearing up the track. Or something like that.

Kidding aside, this workout went pretty well. To be honest, I was thinking/hoping I could hit the miles right around 6 flat despite the paces Jeff had prescribed for me, and I believe that had the air not been fraught with moisture due to the morning's rains I would've been able to do so. It's just so hard to breathe when it's this humid, but what can you do...that's summer around here. Might as well get used to it. I consciously backed off a touch on the third interval because my breathing felt a bit ragged after #2, and the last thing I wanted was to finish off the workout via a death march. Looking at how the final interval played out, I'm glad I did.

Not much else to add here except that I was pleased to finish fastest on my last interval, and that I'm quite sure my legs will be fatigued tomorrow. This was a toughie.

0 comments: