Sunday, August 31, 2008

Week in Review

68-69 miles
1 day off
1 Chocolate Elvis smoothie

Although this week was intended as a recovery week after Hood to Coast, I must confess that I don't feel very recovered at the end of it. Maybe it's from running so many days in the trails, or from doing several long-ish runs at the end of the week, but at any rate I definitely don't feel any spring in my step. I plan to get a massage early next week, which should help, and I may suffer through another ice bath if I don't notice any improvements soon. That said, this week was fabulous in that I was able to do not one, not two, but five runs with other human beings. After having done so much of my recent training solo, I'd almost forgotten how much easier it is when you have someone to talk to. Also, running with others indirectly allowed me to get in almost 50 of this week's miles on dirt instead of pavement, which is 100% better for my body. I know I'm headed into my most difficult month of training yet, and it's the little things like this that will help keep me healthy and injury-free (knock on wood).

Also, I've been remiss in not mentioning Burma Mission and its relevance to my Marine Corps training. One of my motivating factors for running MCM is to raise money for Burma Mission, which is a non-profit humanitarian group that dedicates its time and resources to providing relief to Burmese people in need. As you probably know, Burma has suffered under a repressive and violent junta for years, and their human rights issues have recently been exacerbated by the devastating cyclone that killed thousands upon thousands and left countless more injured, homeless and/or without families. I am currently accepting pledges from people who would like to "sponsor" me to run MCM on behalf of Burma Mission. Some people are pledging a certain amount per mile, while others are donating a specified sum up front. If you are interested in donating (or if perhaps you know a wealthy friend or family member or someone who owes you a favor), I would be absolutely thrilled for you to be a part of this experience. Please email me at meagannedlo@gmail.com and I can give you more information. It's a blessing for me to be able to help others while doing something I enjoy so much.

0 comments: