Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Raining Cross-Training

AM: 50 mins. ellip
15 mins. core
PM: 30 min. walk

Today is the first day in over a month that I did not run a single step, and it felt terrific. I intended to meet Meredith at the river early this morning, but when my alarm sounded at 6:15 I awoke to a torrential downpour. Set it for 6:45, woke up again, still raining. After that I decided to turn it off completely and didn't move again until almost 8:45. I rarely sleep this late (and I went to bed just after 10 last night), so I took it as a sign that my body was still recovering from Hood to Coast.

With that in mind, I had a few options. I could take the day off completely and go on with my life like a normal non-exercise-obsessed person. Or I could run in the monsoon like a crazy exercise-obsessed person. Or I could buy a day pass at a local gym and do some cross-training instead. In the end I opted for option #3, which I considered the most rational of the bunch. I actually enjoyed spending some time on the elliptical and attempting some pushups and ab work (which, sadly, will make me sore tomorrow). Today marks the first day since Friday night that I can sit down without holding onto something for assistance like an elderly person, which means my quads are almost back to normal, and I'm confident this off day was just what I needed to facilitate recovery.

0 comments: