Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Back to the Track

AM: 27 min. w/u (3.5 miles)
16x300 w/100m jog (35 sec.) recovery
Target: 4x60 sec., 4x59, 4x58, 4x57
Actual: (58, 60, 61, 60); (60, 61, 61, 60); (60, 60, 59, 59); (59, 59, 58, 58)
20 min. c/d (2.5 miles)
Total: 10 miles
PM: 29 mins.
4 miles

My hamstring was a bit stiff upon waking up this morning, but I think it might be more due to the massage than anything. Regardless, I took an extra-long warmup to make sure it was nice and loose before hitting the track. Today was a preview of what fall workouts will be like: lower temps (70 degrees at the start), lower humidity (51%) and a light breeze. It was even overcast the entire time, which kept things mild throughout. Definitely best case scenario weather conditions for a morning track workout in August.

Looking back on when I attempted this same workout exactly one month ago, some clear fitness improvements are evident. For starters, I actually completed the workout this time instead of bailing at 12. Also I kept every one of the "rest" jogs between 33-36 seconds, whereas last time I was struggling to keep them at 40. That said, I was still nowhere near hitting the desired splits (deja vu from last Thursday), so clearly I still have a long way to go. But my legs felt pretty bouncy on the cool down jog, and my hamstring was loose throughout, so overall I was okay with how things panned out today.

I set out for my pm jaunt about 4 minutes after it started raining. Now I don't mind if it starts raining mid-run, but I'm kind of a pansy when it comes to starting out in the rain. Nonetheless I put on my big girl pants and headed out and back on the Freedom Trail along Ponce. Wouldn't you know, it actually felt kinda nice.

0 comments: