Tuesday, December 2, 2008

So You're Saying There's a Chance

AM: 4 miles
PM: 20 min. w/u (2.5 miles)
Target: 4x800m @ 2:40 w/2 min. rest
Actual: 2:43, 2:44, 2:44, 2:44
20 min. c/d (2.5 miles)
Total: ~7 miles

For my first day back in the ATL after an extended Thanksgiving break, Jeff decided to treat me to a nice 800m workout. While 4x800 is a considerably shorter workout than any of the ones in my marathon buildup, it was also slated to be run at pace I hadn't hit since, oh, somewhere around 2001. Not to mention I'm pretty sure I haven't cracked seven minute pace since MCM. Nonetheless, around 4pm I headed down to the AO to get this party started. In hindsight, I could've probably used Grady High School track since it was after school hours, but I don't even consider that an option anymore after getting kicked off the last time I attempted a workout.

Anyhow, after a 20 minute warmup I pretty much just jumped right into things with a near-suicidal 36-second opening 200m. Geez. I settled down after that (read: felt like I was going to pass out) and finished off the first interval in 2:43. Normally I would wear flats for this type of workout, but with the foot in mind I opted to stay with the trainers, and I'm pretty sure the T5s would've enabled me to run at least five seconds faster per interval. Or something like that. Anyway, basically after the second go I was in a world of hurt. My legs are not accustomed to this. About 100 meters into the fourth and final interval I came to a dead stop. As in, I was pretty sure I couldn't run any farther. Not wanting to end things on such a sour note, I walked around for a few seconds, took a few deep breaths, then sloooowly jogged back to the starting line for another attempt. I was able to complete that one, which I guess is a victory in itself.

So yeah, while I'm definitely not anywhere close to being in shape, I find this effort to be somewhat encouraging. I legitimately didn't know if I could run faster than six minute pace with the way my legs have been feeling lately, so knowing that I can do so (at least for two miles' worth) gives me some hope and peace of mind (side note: I used to think that phrase was "piece of mind" until like two years ago. Same with "for all intents and purposes," which I used to hear as "all intensive purposes." But I digress).

On a totally unrelated non-running note, today I also had the privilege of voting in Georgia's Senate runoff election. We are currently one of two states still undecided in its national Senate races. If Democratic challenger Jim Martin defeats incumbent Republican Saxby Chambliss, and if Al Franken someone pulls out a miracle in the Minnesota recount, the Dems could be up to 60 seats in the Senate! Fingers crossed.

0 comments: