Thursday, November 20, 2008


AM: 50 mins.
6+ miles
PM: ~30 min. walk

After arriving home quite late from sales meeting last night, I was content to sit around in my pajamas until roughly noon this morning. At that point I decided to try out a little tester jog on my foot. It's definitely been feeling better with the time off, but I was nervous about how it would feel while running. I decided to set out for a "40 to 45, up to but not over 50" minute run (you Oklahomans will appreciate that reference) to see how things felt.

So, here's the good news: my foot felt fine. Actually, that's slightly misleading. For the first 15 minutes I could not feel either of my feet, as they've succumbed to frostbite. You see, I have a habit of turning off my thermostat when I leave town for long periods of time and then seeing how long I can hold out before turning it back on upon my return. Usually "how long I can hold out" ends up being until I am constantly sweating despite stripping down to my underwear (in the summer) or shivering like a wet cat until I can no longer feel my appendages (in the winter). To the best of my recollection, I turned off the thermostat when I left for Palm Springs on or around October 3rd and it has remained in the "off" position ever since. Usually at this point, when outside temperatures are hovering in the low to mid 30s at night, I would finally break down and turn it on. The problem this time, however, is that my heat runs on gas. And guess who hasn't even contacted the gas company since moving here in July? That's right. So, not only do I not currently have heat, I don't even have the option of heat. Which means when I woke up this morning and saw that the thermostat read, oh, somewhere in the neighborhood of 54 degrees, I had absolutely no recourse except layering on more clothing and staying in my bed.

But I digress. Point being, I couldn't feel my feet for quite some time on the run. However, once the blood did get circulating, I was pleased to note that my foot didn't feel half bad. The rest of my body, on the other hand, felt horrible. Well, not horrible, just slow and awkward and sluggish. Hopefully this is something that I will snap out of pretty quickly. Especially since rumor has it that I need to get my game face on for a race sometime soon...but more on that later.