Thursday, June 25, 2009

This is Bad, Real Bad, Michael Jackson

54 mins.
7.5 miles

In case you've been living under a rock, the King of Pop died today. To be honest, I'm a bit taken aback by how widespread and deeply felt the reaction to this news has been. I've never been a fervent Michael Jackson fan, although I certainly acknowledge and appreciate the transformative power he's had on modern pop music, and although I may or may not have rocked the falsetto on a Rock Band-inspired version of "Beat It." But--and I feel like I'm being charitable here--he was kind of a weirdo. And not just a weirdo, but an (allegedly) child-molesting weirdo. So I find it a bit absurd that people like, for example, former South Korean President Kim Dae-jung have issued statements saying: "We lost a hero of the world." Shouldn't he be busy managing other things? Like his country? Or keeping an eye on his pesky trigger-happy neighbors to the north? If anyone is excited about this untimely development, it's got to be South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford. At last he can enjoy a brief respite from his lascivious media frenzy.

But I digress. Before Michael Jackson died, I ran today. Actually I ran with Jenny Graef, which was great fun. Guess that's all I have to say about that.

0 comments: