Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Loveland Bike Trail Workout

2 mile w/u
Target: 3x3 miles @6:05-6:10 w/2 min. rest
Actual: (6:18, 6:11, 6:14); (6:08, 6:20, 6:15); (6:25 aaaand stop)
~1.5 mile c/d

Total: 10.5 miles

Well, I suppose I was due a botched workout. The past few weeks have gone unusually well, after all. I won't blame this on the fact that it was already a steamy 80 degrees when we started the run at 10am, or that the sun was beating down relentlessly, or that we stayed up past 1am drinking wine on the patio with Eloisa and Glenn...but none of those things exactly helped, either.

On a positive note, Jordan and
I found a great new place to run the next time we're in Ohio. It's probably a 10-15 minute drive from the house and definitely off the beaten path down some winding country roads, but the inconvenience is definitely worth it. Whitney said this bike path runs over 80 miles, and while we never confirmed that, we did see mile markers in the 37-39 range on our section of the trail, so that figure seems likely. The path is straight, flat, and somewhat shaded throughout, making it pretty much an ideal training surface for cyclists and runners alike.


A section of the Loveland bike path where our workout took place.
We saw a fox, a deer and a turtle on our run--definitely more wildlife
than people.

As I mentioned above, there were mile markers on the trail, but since we didn't really know where they started or ended from we planned on marking our own splits. As per usual, Jordan had the Garmin and I did not, which meant I wouldn't really have any idea of splits. Being the resourceful guy that he is, Jordan came up with the idea of filling a few plastic baggies with flour which he would then drop/spill/scatter as he passed each mile marker so I would know where it was. So that's what we did, Hansel and Gretel style, and it worked out splendidly.

As for my workout itself, the splits pretty much tell the sordid tale. It was just too hot and humid for me to ever feel comfortable out there. Even though I never felt terrible, I was never able to get into a groove, and the legs simply refused to turn over at the prescribed pace. When I split the first mile of the final segment so slowly, I pretty much decided to cut my losses. I found out a few minutes later that Jordan did the same, only he turned his final segment into a 3xmile with some rest in between instead. I suppose I could've/should've done that too, but by that point I was too hot and sweaty and tired to care very much. Hopefully I can redeem myself on Friday.

0 comments: