Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Date with Kristi and Mr. Garmin

61 mins.
8+ miles

Because I'd pre-planned a run with Kristi at 9:30, I enjoyed sleeping through Jordan's entire morning run. Kristi and I met up along Jenkins and embarked on a simple route up Lindsey, across 24th and back down the bike path on Robinson before heading back to Main Street.

Since I wasn't running with Jordan for the first time in forever, he offered to let me use his beloved Garmin. I had no idea what to do with it, but he showed me a few key buttons and assured me that it wasn't difficult. It seemed to work fine for the first few miles, until about halfway through the run when I looked down to discover it was displaying some sort of bar graph telling me the percentage of accuracy. Percentage of accuracy for what, I'm not sure, nor did I care, but I couldn't find the right button to push to take me back to my data screen. After fiddling with it for a few minutes I decided to leave it alone, only to look down several minutes later at a full-screen compass of some sort. I'll give it some credit, I was indeed headed due north, but I was still more interested in knowing my distance and pace than the fact that I was making my way directly to the North Pole. At any rate, no combination of buttons I pushed seemed to change things, so after several frustrating minutes stopped at an intersection I decided to just leave it alone. Sure enough, a mile or so later it miraculously went back to displaying precisely the information I was looking for. Go figure.

Oh, and the run felt great. Legs are feeling fresh. The few mile splits I did catch were 7:07, 7:10, thereabouts. Now all I need to do is run a minute per mile faster on Saturday for five more miles...no biggie.

1 comments:

Nora said...

Hey Megan,
Thanks for the advice about my foot. It's feeling a little better today, but I'm going to be really careful. Especially since my end goal at the moment is a half marathon in October. A few days (or even weeks) off now won't be the end of the world.
-Nora

PS - I added you to my blog list!