Thursday, August 19, 2010

Keeping Up With the Boys

AM: 61 mins. (8.6 miles)

This morning I knew I was in need of a nice, easy recovery run. So when Jordan and I jogged over to Freedom Park so he could meet Nick, I opted to continue running along the bike path instead of hanging out and waiting for Nick by the lake. This way, I reasoned, I could continue along at my pedestrian pace and not worry about trying to keep up with the two speedsters.

That line of reasoning worked out great for the next mile or so as I exited the park and turned right to head up Queens on the Booty Loop. Before long, however, I heard the sound of footfalls and familiar voices behind me and I knew that the boys were gaining ground. To keep things interesting, I decided to try to stave them off for as long as I could. This meant picking up the pace a bit and throwing in a few surges as they drew closer. They caught me in front of the university about a mile later, but instead of just letting them go I stubbornly held on for the duration of the Booty Loop. Fortunately they decided to do another loop and I had to return home and get ready for work, so once we parted ways at the park I resumed my previous turtle-like pace for the rest of the run.

At least the shenanigans made a familiar route a bit more interesting.

0 comments: