Monday, May 24, 2010

Nationals Pre-Race Workout

AM: 3 miles
PM: 3 mile w/u + strides
Target: mile @10k pace, 800m faster, 2x400 faster (all w/full recovery)
Actual: 5:26, 2:36, 70, 69
2 mile c/d
Total: 7-7.5 miles

Tonight was Tanya's and my final pre-race workout before Nationals. It almost felt surreal to stand on the track where we've been dozens of times before, feeling the familiarity yet knowing that in a few days the energy there would be unlike anything we've previously experienced.

The workout itself was uneventful. Neither of us felt spectacular, but I rarely do on pre-race workouts. I'd almost be more alarmed if I felt good than if I felt the way I did tonight. Not tired, really, but not exactly fresh either. I should also note that we traded our flats for spikes after the mile. Unlike the last time I attempted the switch, my calves seemed thoroughly unbothered, which was a relief. I will definitely wear flats for the 10k and probably even for the 5k prelims, but if/when the finals come around I'm definitely spiking up.

Three more days.

0 comments: