Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Payton Jordan Pre-Race Workout

AM: 3 mile w/u + strides
Target: 2x200m; mile, 800, 400 @race pace (~5:25-5:30); 2x200m fast
Actual: 2x200, 5:22, 2:41, 71, 31-high, 31-low
2 mile c/d
Total: 8 miles

As far as pre-race workouts go, this one was pretty standard. By that, I mean I came away from it thinking, "Oh crap, I have to run that pace for 5 more miles?!" Don't get me wrong, it's not that I was straining for the pace today, but to say that it felt like a jog would ring false. I'm attributing it to the wind, to the hard long run Sunday, to the workout being at 10am, yadda yadda yadda. Tanya felt pretty sluggish too, which I suppose provides a bit of consolation.

Also of note, I decided to switch from flats to spikes between the mile and the 800 and immediately regretted it. Halfway through the interval my right calf started tightening up like crazy--possibly residual soreness from the 5k at Penn?--and I knew the smartest course of action was to put the flats back on as soon as the interval was over. I was able to get through the rest of the workout fine, but I'll definitely need to keep an eye on it over the next few days. This late in the game I can't afford for anything to go wrong.

0 comments: