Friday, April 9, 2010

Successful Predator Run

AM: 20 mins. core + strength
PM: 3 mile w/u
Target: 6 mile predator run starting @6:00
Actual: 5:55, 6:00, 5:45, 5:53, 5:45, 5:42 (35:00 total)
1 mile c/d
Total: 10 miles

I was a bit bummed at the prospect of doing this workout solo, as work prevented me from going with Tanya and the rest of the team. However, Jordan gamely offered to tag along (despite two races looming within the next 48 hours), and I knew I would appreciate the company even if we ran no more than my warmup together. As it turned out, he agreed to run the second half of my workout and provide timing services.

The weather was absolutely gorgeous for the first time this week: sunny, low humidity, (relatively) low pollen count, warm but not hot. It was a bit windier than I would prefer for this type of effort, but given the otherwise flawless conditions I wasn't complaining. I'm pretty sure that a large part of why I sucked so badly on last week's predator was a result of the weather, so I was hoping for better today. (Which, given that "better" only necessitated finishing, I felt pretty good about my chances.) Given the aforementioned wind and the risk of boredom, I opted to start the workout with a loop of the Footlocker course. This would mean I'd have to deal with the steep hill on the second mile but would also be protected from the wind during the wooded sections. I hoped to start out around 6 minutes and then gradually reduce the pace. After bidding Jordan adieu, I set off down the trail.

The first mile was just a touch fast, 5:55, but it felt very relaxed and casual. I maintained the effort for the second mile, knowing the split would be slower because of the hill, and focused on keeping my breathing calm and relaxed. The third mile is my favorite section of the course, but due to the rolling first half and the wind around the pond on the second half I could tell that I was laboring more than I'd expected. Fortunately Jordan jumped in for mile four; combined with his presence, the completely flat terrain made this mile feel the most comfortable of the day. I felt my breathing normalize and was able to regain focus for the final portion of the run. The last two miles were tough but not unbearable, and I was pleased to see my two fastest splits of the day recorded on those miles. No doubt Jordan's encouragement played a large part in that.

Given my less than ambitious goal at the outset, I'd consider this predator run a success. Not only did I not drop out, but I also averaged a faster pace (5:50) for six miles than I did last week for four on a more difficult course. This is also only a few seconds per mile slower (5:50 vs.5:47) than my all-out 10k race pace from Stanford a year ago, which further illustrates the progress I've made in that time. I wish I would've felt more comfortable throughout today's effort, but overall I'm satisfied.

0 comments: