Tuesday, June 15, 2010

First Day Off Since January 8th

Well, I think the title pretty much sums it up. Today was the first day I haven't run in almost six months. And, quite frankly, I didn't know what to do with myself. When I woke up in the morning, the first question that came to mind was whether or not I should shower. I had a vague idea that most people do indeed shower before heading off to work in the morning, but in the absence of a morning run I questioned whether it was really necessary. Similarly, my instincts were telling me to eat breakfast, but logical reasoning said I hadn't burned nearly enough calories in the hour that I was awake to necessitate a meal. (For the record, I did end up both eating and showering, but I'm still not entirely sure that either was the right call.)

In the evening, I took a hall pass from my summer class (shhhhhh, don't tell) and joined Jordan out at the all-comers meet at Myers Park High School. Jordan wasn't planning to race, but I knew a few of our CRC friends would be toeing the line. For the dozenth (if that's a word) time today, I felt very out of sorts. It's strange t
o be out at a track meet--albeit the most laid back, low-key meet in the entire world--wearing street clothes, watching all your friends warming up and throwing on the spikes and preparing to race. A few weeks ago I would've killed for a day off, but tonight I wanted nothing more than to be sweating it up out there with Jordan and my friends. Instead, I chatted with Tim and Dr. Greenapple and acted as race photographer while Jordan paced Paul to a blazing sub-4:40 mile. It was still fun, but a vaguely unsettled sort of fun.


Start line of the star-studded MPHS All-Comers mile race


Jordan taking Paul through halfway right on time


Paul bringing home the sweet sweet victory

On that note, I think one day off is about as much as I can handle right now. I'll probably run tomorrow. Lame attempt at a break, I know, but I promise I won't get back to anything crazy until July.

0 comments: