Tuesday, June 8, 2010

NB Boston Twilight 5k Pre-Race Workout

AM: 3 mile w/u + strides
Target: mile @5k pace, 2x400 @75, 4x200; all w/full rest
Actual: 5:15, 74, 73, 34, 33, 33, 33
1.5 mile c/d
Total: 7 miles
PM: 3 miles

I was out the door at 7am to get this one out of the way before a 9am marketing meeting at work. The AG track was my destination and running comfortably fast was my goal. That's not always the easiest thing to accomplish while running solo first thing in the morning, but I was willing to give it a shot.

I started out aggressively on the mile--a bit too aggressively, as evidenced by my 75-second first split--and tried to concentrate on keeping my breathing relaxed. This would prove difficult as I passed through 800 at 2:35, but I managed to hold it together and still finish in 5:15. Nothing spectacular, but nonetheless this was the fastest mile I've run on the track all year (other than the opening mile in the championship 5k a few weeks ago). Nice to know I can do it solo.

The trade-off? Feeling like crap on the rest of the workout. I huffed and puffed my way through the 400s, then struggled to dip below 34 on the 200s. (Remember, I blazed a 30-point last week.) It's a bit embarrassing to see how much 5:15 took out of me, but at least I was able to finish the workout and amble home without completely falling apart. Still, all signs point to taking some time off after the race this weekend.

0 comments: