Tuesday, November 17, 2009

McAlpine Mile Repeats

AM: 30 mins. ellip.
15 mins. core
PM: ~3.5 mile w/u + strides
3x mile w/full recovery (6:02, 5:55, 5:55)
~1.5 mile c/d
Total: 8 miles
Chiro

Though I wanted to join the team for their pre-race workout, I had to get this taken care of in time to make it to Greenapple by 5:30. So I set off for the main parking lot by myself just after 3pm to get 'er done. The workout on tap was a modification on the girls' pre-race workout, adding a few more miles but keeping the rest the same. Though Simmons suggested I take 5+ minutes of rest, I figured 3-3:30 would be just about right.

I took things nice and easy on the warmup, going a bit farther than usual to make sure my hip and adductor were fully functional. I selected the first mile on the Footlocker course for my interval, which meant I would be running from the starting line to the first mile marker twice, and the opposite direction once. My goal at the outset was to run hard but controlled, starting around 6:00 and then going from there based on feel. As you can see, that's pretty much what I ended up doing. Though I certainly didn't feel like I was jogging, each interval felt equally difficult as the previous one. I guess that's better than feeling progressively worse. The adductor stayed loose until the final interval, when I felt it gradually tightening up as the minutes ticked by. It was quite sore and tight on the cooldown, which I have to admit is a bit concerning. I also made the mistake of mentioning this to Dr. G, who proceeded to work over my adductor in a serious way. Guess it's probably for the best.

0 comments: