Sunday, September 20, 2009

Rules Were Meant to Be Broken, Fitness Centers Were Meant to Be Open

AM: 30 mins. pool
PM: 60 mins. ellip. incl. 5x5 mins. on, 5 mins. off

This morning was full of racing action, though not for myself. Jordan, Tanya, Pezz and a few thousand other people were slated to contest the CVS Downtown 5k in Providence at 11:15 sharp. I was excited and nervous for each of my friends as gun time approached, and couldn't wait to hear from Jordan post-race. Turns out he didn't end up running as fast as he'd hoped, but still secured a spot on the Ivy League Ekiden team. One out of two isn't bad. Tanya didn't really run a great race either, but Pezz ran well, as did my friend Jennie from Atlanta. Turns out she and Tanya were roommates at the host hotel and quickly realized they both knew me--what a small, small world the elite running community is.

Full of post-race energy, I was eager to hit up the fitness center for my own workout in the afternoon. Since they're supposed to be open from 3 to 9 on Sunday, and the dining hall opens from 5 to 7:30, I decided to head up around 4:30 for an hour workout, figuring I could finish at just the right time to hit up the dining hall for dinner. So, imagine my frustration when I arrived to discover the lights were off and the "closed" sign displayed. Yet the side door was still open...hmm...so, I texted Jordan reporting the state of the situation and asking his advice.

Me: Just got to the fitness center. Lights are off and the closed sign is up but the door is open. What should I do?
Jordan: Turn on the lights and flip the sign.

So, yup, that's what I did. Turned on the lights and fans, flipped the sign, unlocked the front door...et voila! The fitness center is now open for business!

2 comments:

Jilane said...

brilliant.

Coach Gaudette said...

That's illegal. I would have seen the sign, chosen to obey the law, and moseyed on to a community service project or something.