Monday, March 8, 2010

Rail Trail Hell

AM: 55 mins. (7 miles)
PM: 32 mins. (4 miles) + strides, strength


Our starting point at the rail trail

Wow. The run this morning was absolutely ridiculous. For my initiation at 7000 feet, we ran at the rail trail, which is what it sounds like: a trail that runs beside train tracks. The group did their long runs out there yesterday morning and found it agreeable, although fairly hilly and somewhat technical the first few miles. What changed between then and now was the amount of rainfall the area experienced yesterday, rendering much of the trail a muddy mess. Naturally, we were already committed to the cause before realizing this, which meant portions of this run were spent slipping and sliding around as though on a muddy ice skating rink. The mud was so thick and gloopy (yes, I said gloopy) in some spots that it adhered to our feet not unlike snowshoes, which provided an overall effect of running with ankle weights. So between the mud, the altitude (palpable within the first few minutes) and the searing wind, I was audibly cursing Santa Fe (nay, the entire state of New Mexico) on the way back. Simply put, this run was awful.


One of the flatter sections of the rail trail. At least the view was nice.

Things didn't improve much for me over the course of the afternoon when it started snowing. In fact, I'm beginning to believe that the snow is following me across the entire country. Don't believe me? Let's consider the past few weeks. Two weekends ago I was in NYC, enveloped by the largest snowstorm to hit the city this winter. Today, it's 50 degrees there. I returned to Charlotte only for it to snow last Tuesday; this afternoon, Jordan ran shirtless. And now we have the snow here in New Mexico. I just can't win.

I'll be more positive tomorrow, promise. After all, it's spring break and I'm on an all-expenses paid runner's vacation. But a girl's gotta vent every once in a while.

3 comments:

Mad said...

you said the trail was 'gloppy'..would it also be safe to say it was 'moist'?

:)

Meagan Nedlo said...

you're a terrible friend.

Mad said...

lmaooo