Thursday, July 29, 2010

Kicking Booty

AM: 3 mile w/u
Target: 3x3 miles @6:20 pace or faster (Caitlin); 2x3 miles @Caitlin's pace (me) w/4 mins. rest
Actual (me): 18:22 (6:10, 6:13, 5:59); 18:00 (6:03, 6:06, 5:52)
2.5 mile c/d
Total: 12 miles

Caitlin absolutely rocked this workout. Anyone who can run 3x3 miles faster than marathon pace at 5:45 in the morning in the middle of summer deserves some serious props. She also did a great job of summarizing it in her blog, so since I'm already behind on blogging I'm going to take the easy way out and link you there. What I will say is that we made a game time decision to switch this from McAlpine to the Booty Loop due to rain, and surprisingly it turned out to be a great idea. The loop is almost exactly three miles (2.88 according to Mr. Garmin, so we only had to add on a little bit), and the direction that we ran sets things up nicely for a negative split. (The first 1.25 miles are uphill, then 1 mile flat, then .75 screaming downhill.) The only drawback is that it's on the sidewalk instead of dirt, a detail that was not lost on my aching legs and feet upon returning home, but otherwise I have no complaints. Another great effort with some great peeps in the books.

0 comments: