Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Balboa Park Fartlek

AM: 3 mile w/u
Target: 5 min, 5 min, 3 min, 3 min, 1 min, 1 min hard all w/3 min.
rest
Actual: Above
1+ mile c/d
Total: ~9 miles
PM: 29 mins. (3.5-4 miles)

I asked Coach Jordan for a workout, and he did not disappoint. Though it doesn't look that tough on paper, I was completely gassed by the e
nd of this. Most of that I attribute to the undulating terrain and uneven footing of the park. Had I done this same workout at the same pace on the flat dirt of McAlpine I doubt it would've been nearly as tough. As it was today, I pushed myself pretty hard on the uphill portions of the 5-minuters and, as a result, was sucking wind on all the shorter segments. Fortunately Jordan was running with me and keeping the pace honest, otherwise I'm sure I would've been dragging even worse toward the end.



The best part of this workout? The post-run brunch we enjoyed at the legendary Hash House. To say the portions were huge would be an understatement, and even in our ravenous workout-depleted state Jordan and I could only finish half of our respective entrees (griddled French Toast and smoked chicken, sundried tomato pesto, spinach and goat cheese scramble, in case you were wondering). It. Was. Awesome.



This afternoon, after a breakfast-induced coma and family field trip to Coronado Island, we ran another short park loop before finishing up at Trader Joe's. Jordan is in charge of preparing tonight's meal and was in need of supplies, so a dual purpose run made sense. Luckily the walk back home from the grocery store with our heavily laden bags was no more than a mile.


On the beach at Coronado

0 comments: