Monday, July 12, 2010

The Air We Drink

AM: 61 mins. (8.5 miles)
PM: 5 miles

Within the first few steps out the door this morning, I could tell this one wasn't going to be a record beater. Either I was going to commit to sub-60 from the outset or I wasn't, and today I most emphatically wasn't. Instead, Jordan and I kept the pace relaxed and conversational the entire time, trying to stay afloat in the sweltering humidity. I mean literally the air has so much moisture that you can almost swallow it. I find this utterly disgusting and yet another reason why I'm excited to head to a drier climate later this week.

The evening run was no less humid due to a Noah's Ark-style deluge that broke from the clouds earlier this afternoon. It rained hard enough to cause major flooding in many areas of town, the most predictable of which being McAlpine. Knowing all that in advance, it's unsurprising that when Jordan, Caitlin, John, Jay and I tried to run to Freedom Park via the low water crossing near the hospital, we found it to be completely under water. The only way we were going to get from point A to point B by way of that viaduct was in a canoe or kayak of some sort. Instead, we took the long way to the park entrance before John and I split off from the group to head back early. Also, I don't want to embarrass him in this public forum by detailing the manner in which he tripped and fell face-first and skidded across the grass right in front of his apartment, but, well, he tripped and fell face-first and skidded across the grass right in front of his apartment. It was awesome.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

good thing john doesn't read anyone's blogs besides the crc blog post titled "runner in the spotlight: John Compton."