Saturday, July 17, 2010

Harbor Run

AM: 65 mins. (9.3 miles)


Post-run apple fritter worthy of our good buddy Scotty D

My partner in crime joined us late last night, and I was excited for the two of us to have a chance to catch up on the week's happenings while on our run this morning. For the second day in a row we had absolutely gorgeous weather--blue skies, warm sunshine and low humidity--and it was truly a joy just to be outside soaking it all in. Instead of returning directly to the park, I proposed a route that would take us down to the harbor and along the water before bringing us back up through the historic Gaslamp district and, finally, to the park's familiar setting. We did a similar run last time we were here and thoroughly enjoyed it despite the fact that it consisted solely of pavement. The miles along the water flew by as we were engrossed in conversation, and before I knew it we were back at the edge of the park and headed homeward. The pace felt relaxed and easy, and for the entire run I thought we were moving at a fairly pedestrian speed. Imagine my surprise, then, when I heard Jordan's watch beep at 63 minutes. I asked him if we'd just passed the 8-mile mark--that's how leisurely the pace felt to me--but he laughed and said that we were actually at 9. Who knew?!


Entrance to the Gaslamp District


Taking in the scene at the pride parade in Hillcrest

Jordan opted to double in the evening, but I was content to settle in for a delicious nap and a few minutes of reading. Afterward the four of us headed out to a dinner of tapas and tasty sangria at Tapas Picasso around the corner. It was the perfect end to vacation day #2.


Father and son

0 comments: