Sunday, January 23, 2011

Week in Review

77 miles
3 doubles
12 mile "long" run
4 AFDs

Though my dad questioned whether 77 miles qualifies as a taper, I would contend that it does for someone accustomed to logging 85-95 miles per week. Besides, I only had one hard effort--my lengthy workout on Thursday--and no true long run to speak of. That run is usually reserved for Sunday, but today found me at McAlpine with Jordan for a mere 12 easy miles.

Leading up to next week's race, however, I expect the volume to drop off significantly. Much of this is due to my early week travel to Boston, which commences bright and early tomorrow morning with my 7:05 flight. I'll be spending Monday through Wednesday scheming with the bright minds at Karhu North America about how we can take over the world in 2011. The forecasted high--yes, high--temperature there tomorrow is 11 degrees, which means most of my runs will undoubtedly take place on the hotel treadmill whenever I can squeeze them in. From Beantown I'll be home for less than 24 hours before departing for Houston on Thursday afternoon. So, as you can see, there will be plenty of activity to keep me distracted from thinking about the race and/or about how little I'm running. As far as I'm concerned that's definitely a positive thing.

Welp, that's it for now. No keen insights or thought-provoking wisdom to share with seven days remaining. Just a touch of anxiety and a lot of excitement for the week ahead. I get to spend time with my coworkers in Boston, watch several of my friends race the US Half Marathon Champs on Saturday, see my parents later in the weekend and, before all is said and done, run one teeny tiny little race.

It's almost go time.

2 comments:

mainers said...

Good luck if I don't see you before then! You got this!

Aaron Linz said...

get it done in Houston! can't wait to hear about it.