Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Losing the Battle(s), Winning the War

Tues, 10/1
AM: 5 miles easy
PM #1: 4 miles + strides
PM #2: 7 miles moderate

Wed, 10/2
AM: 3 mile w/u + strides
Target: 4x400 @80 w/60 sec. rest; 4x800 @2:44 w/90 sec. rest; 4x1000 @3:30 w/2 min. rest; 4x400 @78 or faster w/60-90 sec. rest
Actual: 79, 79, 78, 79; 2:44, 2:44, 2:44, 2:42; 3:27, 3:27, 3:27, 3:27; 76, 77, 76, 74
1.5 mile c/d
Total: 11 miles

What is it they say about the best laid plans?

Attempt #1 for this workout was Tuesday at lunch. I jogged an easy warmup to the Beverly High track, did some strides and drills, and was just about to rip into my first interval when the track was swarmed by a PE class the approximate size of my high school. Unruffled, I waited around for a few minutes to see if the melee would at some point amalgamate into some semblance of order, but instead it seemed they were just planning to run around all over the track and infield and everywhere in between to their heart's content. I shuffled back to the office, fuming, but at the same time resolving to stay the course and try again after school business hours.

Just before 3pm, my boss headed out for the day. Knowing he would drive right by the school, I asked him to let me know if it was open. A few minutes later I got the all clear and, seeing as how I hadn't so much as changed shirts since my jog a few hours ago, I was off to the races again. This time I decided to skip the extended warmup entirely, so less than three minutes from leaving the office (which couldn't have been more than eight minutes after my boss's text) I was literally back on track and ready for action.

And then, hell intervened again in the form of a field hockey game. I shit you not, less than thirty seconds after I stepped up to begin my first stride, two separate teams of girls (and their coaches, and parents, and big sisters and other extended family members) descended upon the track, tossing their luggage-sized backpacks here and there without a care, strewn haphazardly across lanes one and two like it was their own respective bedroom floors.

Needless to say, I gave up--for the time being. Discouraged, downtrodden, defeated in this battle, I vowed to come back and win the war at 6:30am the following morning before school work. Sure enough, come Wednesday morning those little delinquents were still tucked soundly in their beds and I had the entirely facility to myself. At long last, I win!

Oh yeah, and as for the workout itself, I nailed it. Trying to hit 10k pace and faster, solo, early in the morning isn't necessarily a recipe for success, but I got it done fairly comfortably. Perhaps I was fueled by yesterday's rage.  


mfranks said...

Meagan your training is interesting, Houston has talked to me a bit about this ( I was curious). So during your high mile weeks you do shorter, faster intervals like 800/1000/400 etc? This is to help with turnover? When do you get into the more marathon specific stuff? How many weeks out? Just wondering.

Caitlin Bullock said...

Ha now this just cracks me up. Damn school children