Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Post-Snowstorm Pre-Race Workout

2.5 mile w/u + strides
Target: 4x4 mins. @3:35/k; 4x1 min. hard; 4x30 secs. harder
Actual: 4x4 mins. (through 1k in 3:34, 3:30, 3:33, 3:33); 4x1 min.; 4x 30 secs.
2 mile c/d
Total: 10-10.5 miles

Another day, another snowstorm. This alleged "first day of spring" found us braving sub-freezing temps, slick and slushy streets, and 20mph winds--all for a pre-race fartlek. Or, technically, the workout formerly known as the pre-race fartlek. Originally I'd planned to travel down to NYC and defend my 13.1 title and course record from last year, but a relatively last-minute work trip to Raleigh necessitated a change in plans. We decided to keep the workout relatively short anyway, adding on the 4x30 seconds as a bonus 5k-specific epilogue.

As is becoming all too common this winter, my legs initially felt a bit sluggish on the heels of a treadmill double yesterday. In order to utilize the clearest, least slick section of road, the only feasible way to execute this workout was to run gradually uphill with the wind at my back for one interval, then turn around and head downhill (but into a lashing headwind) for the next. It wasn't ideal, but it was doable, and for today that was probably best-case scenario. Luckily, my legs clicked into the pace rather easily as I fell in line behind my stalwart queenmaker, and I even had some uncharacteristic pep in my step on the shorter, faster bursts as well. I may not feel like a 5k runner just yet, but with a few more speed sessions like this one I hope to put in a respectable showing at the BAA 5k. 

0 comments: