Thursday, February 28, 2013

Number of 800 Repeats > Number of Hours of Sleep

2.5 mile w/u
Target: 6x800m @2:38-2:40 w/2 mins. jog
Actual: roughly the above
2 mile c/d
Total: 8 miles

From Charlotte I headed straight to Austin on Monday morning, and never have I been so thankful to be in Texas. The weather was absolutely perfect every day--low 40s and a spectacular sunrise easing into upper 60s and sunny with no humidity (a particularly rare treat for this section of the Lone Star State). All of this plus the proximity to one of my favorite running buddies, Allison, meant I solidly frontloaded my weekly mileage and enjoyed almost every step.

The same could not be said for my workout on Thursday morning--but to be honest, I'm just proud of myself for making it happen. A late flight home on Wednesday night meant I didn't get into bed until almost 1am, and the promise of an exceptionally busy workday on Thursday necessitated getting up no later than usual if the workout were to have the slimmest chance of happening. Fortunately my partner in crime was game for dragging me around the streets of Salem, keeping the pace honest over the undulating terrain--"This is no Dilworth Speed Loop," he remarked at one point--and though I intentionally didn't start and stop my own watch, I know we were close enough to the prescribed splits for me to earn a semi-enthusiastic "nice work" at the end of it all. For today, I'll take it. 

0 comments: