Wednesday, April 11, 2012

BAA 5k Pre-Race Workout

PM: 2 mile w/u + strides
Target: 1600 @5:22-25, 2x800 @2:40, 2x400 @75 all w/2 mins. jog
Actual: 5:21, 2:37, 2:36, 72, 70
2 mile c/d
Total: 7 miles

Yes, I'm behind on my blog. Yes, I have multiple entries to catch up on. (Though I'm back-dating this entry for the sake of consistency, I'm actually writing it a full week later. Shhhh, don't tell.) I'll do my best to accomplish this in the next few days, but for the entire past week I've been caught up in Boston Marathon fervor. The agony, the ecstasy, the heat stroke...none of those words describe my own personal Marathon Monday experience, but I'm pretty sure I saw a little bit of all three out there on the course.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Last Wednesday, before the weekend craziness ensued, I ventured out to the Beverly High School track on my lunch hour to knock out a light, fast pre-race workout. Jordan and I invited several of our co-workers, most of whom dabble in running but are decidedly categorized on the cycling side of the industry, and it was actually quite fun fostering a group atmosphere even if we weren't all literally running together. For my part, I tucked behind Jordan and let him block the wind and set the pace. I was pleasantly surprised with my splits, particularly the 400s which felt completely relaxed. It was always a running joke (pun intended, obv) at Queens that I could never break 70 seconds for the quarter regardless of where it fell during my training cycle or within an individual workout, even when I was in 16:30 shape. I didn't do so today either, but I also wasn't trying to. I actually see this as quite an encouraging sign and indicator that I might be in better shape than I think. I'll have my first chance to prove that on Sunday at the BAA 5k.

0 comments: