Monday, May 23, 2011

A Request For Help

As you all know, running is one of the most important aspects of my life. It is my hobby and my livelihood and my passion all rolled into one. It is normally the primary topic and concern of this blog.

Not today.

Like most Americans, I awoke this morning to the news of the devastating tornadoes that ripped through Joplin, MO last night. This was particularly alarming for me because most of my mother's family lives there. While none of them were injured, which is a tremendous blessing, they did not emerge unscathed. It was with an incredibly heavy heart that I learned of my uncle Evan, aunt Shelly and their daughter Avery losing their entire house and almost all of their belongings in the wake of this disaster. In an instant their shelter and their possessions were reduced to virtually nothing.

For the immediate future, they are incredibly fortunate to be able to stay with my aunt Kelly (Shelly's twin sister), her husband Mark and their son Preston. Unlike many of the hundreds or even thousands of other Joplin residents left homeless in the wake of the storm, they do not have to worry about finding a roof to put over their heads--for now. But there will surely be months of work and heartache ahead as they attempt to rebuild their home and their lives. The physical, emotional and mental strength it must take to start from nothing more than the clothes on your back is almost incomprehensible to me.

Evan, Shelly and Avery would never ask any of you for money. They don't know most of you. Truthfully, I probably don't personally know all the people who read this blog. But I am asking for your help anyway. I have set up the PayPal account below with the specific intention of reaching out to anyone who is willing and able to lend a metaphorical hand. I don't know if this post will generate two donations or 200, but I am positive that literally any amount will be received with open arms and a grateful heart. I can do nothing more than promise that every dime you donate will be given directly to my family, but I hope you will take me at my word. I do know that PayPal charges a transaction fee for me to extract the money, but I will match that amount in cash to ensure that your contribution is given in its entirety. If you would prefer to donate in person or to mail a check, you may send one to me at:

Meagan Nedlo
4754 Hedgemore Dr. Unit T
Charlotte, NC 28209

My intention with this post is not to put anyone on the spot or cause you to feel uncomfortable. I know there are countless worthy charities out there that many of you already support, just as I know that there are many of other Joplin residents who need and deserve this money as much as my family does. I write humbly with no expectations. But if you feel compelled to give, however large or small, please know from the bottom of my heart that it will be sincerely appreciated.




1 comments:

mfranks said...

I'll donate- I'll even send out a few tweets.

Anything for a good cause. Nice work.

Megg