Friday, July 26, 2013

Fall Marathon(s) Announcement!

After much consideration, I am pleased to announce I will be racing not one, but two, fantastic marathons this fall! On October 12th I will be competing for over $6000 in prize money as part of the New England's Finest program at the ING Hartford Marathon. Since moving to the Boston area I've heard nothing but positive comments about this race and New England's Finest, and I'm incredibly excited to have been invited to participate. Last year's winner and a new friend of mine, Hilary Dionne, will be returning to defend her title and improve upon her 2:40 showing. I'm hopeful that we can work together throughout the race and bring out the best in each other.

A mere eight weeks later, I will be putting it all on the line and aiming for the coveted Olympic Trials "A" standard at the Cal International Marathon in Sacramento. CIM is a screaming fast, net downhill, barely legal course that saw upwards of 20+ women qualify for the 2012 Trials (on the last day of the open window, no less). I have no doubt that this is my best opportunity to run fast and attain the "A" standard in 2013, which has always been my primary objective.

As someone who barely runs two marathons a year, much less two in the same quarter, I was initially daunted by the prospect of competing at both these events. However, Coach Jordan is confident in my abilities, both to run fast at each race and to recover adequately between them. I'll admit, having full knowledge of my current state of fitness (or lack thereof) I'm a bit intimidated, but as I've done countless times before I'll simply need to put my head down, grind out the miles and trust the process. And drink lots of Frappuccinos.

Time to enjoy the hard work!  

1 comments:

jayholder8k said...

I won't be clicking on the link for New England's Finest. Instead, I will operate under the assumption that you are now a police officer. Good day, Officer Nedlo.