Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Tired Legs Workout

3 mile w/u + strides
Target: 6x4 mins. uptempo w/2 min. jog; 6x1 min. hard w/1 min. jog
Actual: 6x4 mins., w/1k splits of 3:36-3:38 on #1-5 and 3:31 on #6 (3:35 for 1k = 5:45 pace)
6x1 min. hard
2 mile c/d
Total: ~12 miles

Jordan and I were up before the sun to knock this out before heading to the Karhu offices. As we're staying with my boss until we get the keys to our new place on Friday, we decided to do this on the now-familiar dirt bike path that begins less than 400 meters from our temporary home and runs all the way into Salem. Specifically, we warmed up to the end and then chose the final ~1k stretch for the workout portion as it was unbroken by any street crossings. This meant the scenery was repetitive and somewhat unexciting, but it was well worth it to stay on a mostly flat soft surface for the entire workout.

Overall, this went about as well as could be expected for two days after the 10-mile race. Aerobically I felt great on the 4-minuters, with breathing that remained controlled throughout the intervals and quickly returned to normal during the rest segments, but I could tell that my legs still felt flat and fatigued from Sunday. Sure enough, I was barely able to muster a faster pace on my one-minute "hard" sections than on the previous intervals that were four times as long. This was frustrating but not unexpected, and given the proximity to the race I was not too disappointed. I have plenty of recovery days remaining this week and should be ready for a speedier effort next time around.

0 comments: