Thursday, October 28, 2010

First (Short Bus) Workout

AM: 3.5 miles
15 mins. core
PM: 2+ mile w/u
Target: (600m @6:00 pace, 100m jog, 300m @5:20 pace, 200m jog) x 6
Actual: Basically that
2+ mile c/d
Total: 9 miles

For my first workout back post-injury, Jordan devised a "fun" (his words) track workout involving changing gears while running continuously. I thought/hoped the 6-minute pace segments would seem fairly easy--after all, I'd just run that pace for a half hour last weekend and today was only being asked to do so for a few minutes at a time--but I figured that the shift in pace, combined with the whole "jogging rest" aspect, would wear me out pretty quickly. The 80+ degree, 80+ percent humidity certainly wouldn't do me any favors either. The only thing I had going for me was my trusty pacer, a one mustachioed Jordan Kinley, who promised to keep me on target pace throughout. He's never let me down before, so I was more than happy to let him take the lead.

I wish I could say that I knocked this workout out of the park, but to be honest it kind of just solidified the reality of where I am right now. As predicted, the 600s felt easy and relaxed, almost a jog, but as soon as I tried to ratchet things down to a faster clip I just felt off. My left hamstring and glute tightened up, my stride felt jerky and the pace was just plain uncomfortable. Knowing that this was my 5k pace just a few short months ago was a bit humbling, but I was determined not to allow myself to get discouraged and wallow in self-pity. Where I'm at is where I'm at, and the silver lining here is that any sort of workout will equal significant fitness gains at this point. I may not have set the track on fire today, but I'm willing to accept this as a starting point.

0 comments: