Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Tree Falls in Brooklyn

AM: 6.5-7 miles
PM: 20 mins (2.5 miles) + strength



Wow, I don't even know where to begin with today, except to say that I'm officially done complaining about the conditions in Charlotte. That's because I have an entirely new weather system to lament: the storm of the century in NYC! That's right, we left Charlotte today to return to NYC for another Armory meet, only to find ourselves in the midst of a full-on blizzard. I know you're probably thinking, "But she's from the South. Any amount of snow would seem like a blizzard to her." Perhaps, but when the mayor holds a press conference to announce that every school, university, library, museum and department store in the tri-state area is closed on Friday...well, that's when you know it's kind of a big deal. At this point I'm not even sure if the meet will go on tomorrow; and if it does, I'm not sure who all will show up. Oh, and did I mention that a man died in Central Park today when a snowy tree branch fell on his head?? Scary stuff. Needless to say, my afternoon shakeout took place within the confines of the hotel fitness center.


Me, Maraya and Futsum in the limo from the airport. Baller.

The one silver lining to today's snow-laden clouds was the wonderful coincidence of Jordan's dad and Roger being in the city for the weekend. Even better, their hotel was just a five minute taxi ride from my weekend home, the Affinia Manhattan, which made getting to them super easy. (As an added bonus, I found a stray umbrella in the taxi on the way over, which will no doubt serve me well for the rest of the weekend.) Due to the inclement weather, we opted to stay at the Sheraton and dine in the hotel lobby bar instead of venturing outside. It was great to spend a few hours hanging out with them and swapping stories about their darling son. Now it's time to get some rest and hope all goes as planned tomorrow!


The view from our hotel room

0 comments: